The Saffron Walden District Scout Headquarters is at:
54A High Street, Saffron Walden CB10 1EE
The building is located in an alley to the left of Goddards Electrical, opposite the Temeraire. Please be aware that the building is not wheelchair accessible.
Here’s a map of the hall’s location.
If you’re driving to the hall then some short term parking is available in the streets close to the hall and all day parking is available at Swan Meadow.
For Swan Meadow Car Park, use the postcode CB10 1DA and then follow the signs.
To return to the hall on foot, go along Park Lane back to the High Street then turn right, passing over the traffic light junction.
For short term parking (up to 3 hours during the day) and in the evening (free) use the Common Car Park
A brief, but incomplete, history of the District Headquarters building: (Ref: ‘1st Saffron Walden (Y.M.C.A.) Boy Scout Group Golden Jubilee 1912-1962’)
- Date unknown – Built by public money and known as the ‘YMCA Building’
- Before 1924 – Used as a furniture store
- Oct 1924 – 1st Saffron Walden (YMCA) took over the building for a nominal rent on condition that they would maintain it
- Sept 1939 – Requisitioned by the Ministry of Labour, then used as wartime clothing store
- 1941 – Became Headquarters of the Home Guard
- 1946 – Scout group returned to the building, now deteriorated from (wartime) lack of maintenance
- 1948-50 – Hall Committee formed, building repaired and re-decorated
- 1969 – Plans announced to improve the buiding once the (YMCA) lease issue resolved…
(Contemporary notes, possibly with some inaccuracies re: dates, etc.)
- 1994 – Hall Committee disbanded
- 2001 – Mayoral Appeal raised £8,000 for building improvements
- 2007 – 99 year lease granted by YMCA (and registered with the Scout Association Trust Corporation) to the Saffron Walden Scout District
- 2008 – Upper Hall flooring renovated and improved heating installed
- 2009 – Obsolete fire retardants removed by licenced contractors
- 2010-11 – Major renovations and safety improvements undertaken (re-wiring, installation of fire alarm system, etc.), made possible through substantial assistance from the Saffron Walden Rotary and many other volunteers
- 2011 – Buildings Sub-Committee (reporting to District Executive) took over the management of refurbishment and maintenance. New building name and address registered with the Uttlesford District Council 20 May 2011.
- 2011 – Severe damp issue addressed by replacing rear guttering, downpipes. etc.
- 2015 – Internal stairs and cupboards treated for woodworm (30 year guarantee)